Saturday, May 24, 2008

New addition?

Today I went to 2 different fosters to have a look at some kittens.  I've been thinking of adopting another pet for a while.  I know that with 4 dogs, having another dog is a near impossibility.  So the other option is another cat.

My youngest baby, Murphy, is already 3 years 10 months old.  She still thinks of herself as a baby and is very frisky.  She loves cats too.  I'm not worried about the dogs accepting the new kitten into the family.  Usually dogs have less of an issue accepting new members as they are pack animals by nature.  If the new addition is introduced properly, they will typically accept it into the fold readily and think of the new addition (be it puppy, kitten, baby or otherwise) as part of the family pack and will protect it.

The first foster we visited had 4 3-month old kittens up for adoption.  3 ginger boys and a black/grey girl.  I was quite taken by Madhu (the sweetest of the 3 ginger boys) but my dad and brother were a little less impressed.  The plus point for Madhu is that he is used to having dogs around so he would be able to take to my 4 without a major issue.

The second foster had 3 6-week old kittens. 1 dark golden girl, 1 charcoal boy and a white boy with a racoon-like tail.  I aimed for the white boy and he basically stole my heart.  My dad was won over by the dark golden girl.  She was really a sweet little darling.  However, with so many girls in my house already, we decided we'll take the white boy.   As he's still a little young, the foster said he'll only be ready for adoption 2 weeks later.

We are going to name the boy Mikey.  My mom and dad even came up with a name for the dark golden girl, Molten.  I wish we can take both in but I think that would not be very possible.

We'll have to see how it goes.

No comments: